Intro to Windows — TryHackMe Walkthrough
Task 1 A little history
When was Windows announced?
>> November 20 1985
Which is the latest version of Windows?
>> Windows 11
Which is the latest version of Windows Server?
>> Windows Server 2019
Task 2 Windows file system and permissions explained
- PerfLogs — Stores the system issues and other reports regarding performance
- Program Files and Program Files (x86) — Is the location where programs install unless you change their path (Ex: Choosing to install software on D drive)
- Users — In this folder are stored the users created. It also stores users generated data (Ex: Saving a file on your Desktop)
- Windows — It’s the folder that basically contains the code to run the operating system and some utility tools (we’ll talk about them later)
In which folder are user’s profiles stored?
Task 3 Understanding the authentication process
There are two types of Active Directory:
- On-Premise Active Directory (AD)
- Azure Active Directory (AAD)
In an on-premise Active Directory environment the authentication can be made by using the following protocols:
- LDAP / LDAPS
Azure Active Directory supports the following authentication methods:
- SAML (Security Assertion Markup Language)
- OAUTH 2.0
- OpenID Connect
Which Active Directory is cloud based?
>> Azure Active Directory
Which authentication method does not provide data integrity?
Which authentication method assigns a ticket in order for a user to login?
Which authentication method allow users to access applications with a single login (short name)?
Authentication method that uses JSON Web Tokens?
>> OpenID Connect
Task 4 Utility tools
Windows comes with a variety of utility tools. Some of them are:
- Computer Management
- Local Security Policy
- Disk Cleanup
- Registry Editor
- Command-line tools
- Registry Editor (Regedit)
Task 5 Types of servers
Servers can be used for a variety of actions or things. The most common ones are:
- Domain Controller
- File server
- Web server
- FTP Server
- Mail Server
- Database Server
- Proxy Server
- Application Server
Which can be considered the most important server?
>> Domain Controller
Which server can store emails?
>> Mail Server